Saturday, January 30, 2016

Thinking About Buying Things Differently and How That Looks -My Minimalism Journey

Hey Friends!

If you follow my blog, you might know that I am currently doing a no buy for a year challenge. I started that at the beginning of this year, and as of January 1, 2016, I have not bought any clothing. I have the rules to that challenge in an earlier post (I didn't write the post at the very beginning of the year though because I wasn't sure until I wrote that post if I was actually going to commit to it, but I am!)  Anyway, in my rules I didn't completely rule out shoes, jewelry (if there was a need), and I gave myself three saves (if a need should arise or something gets damaged, etc.). All of this, paired with the fact that I am a poor college student on a tight budget right now anyway, has made me think and rethink about shopping a lot.

My attitude and approach to shopping has started to shift. I used to just go to the store when I was bored. I would go to a thriftstore and find really cute bargains, buy them, and sometimes they would get used... usually they wouldn't though. It was a bad habit. It was one that wasted my time and money. It also didn't fulfill me for very long and it's made my room the mess that I am currently trying to minimize. I am not doing that anymore. I have learned MY secret to minimalist shopping. It's three fold.

1. I have to have patience. This is really hard for me. I am an impulse shopper. Those cute little accessories, candy bars, gum, and stuff displayed by the cash registers were made for shoppers like me. I make an effort not to even look at that stuff if I can help it now. Also, I am learning to examine most of the stuff I buy for quality and learning to wait. Usually time will cure the desire. If not, I can think about it some more and make a more informed decision to go buy it. I can also shop around and see if I can get it cheaper in the time I am waiting to purchase it.

An example of this is that I have been wanting to get back into crocheting. I wanted to buy a new hook set because I am pretty sure that I got rid of my old ones a while back. I waited two days to see if I could borrow some hooks from my mom or a friend (that didn't work for various reasons). I checked Amazon, and I almost bought a set. I decided to sleep on it though. The next day I thought to check Ebay for a set as well and found the same set for half the price. I finally bought them. Patience pays off!

2. I am making a list of needs and possible needs. You make a grocery list... why not a list for other stuff? If it's on my list, I know it's an upcoming need. I can keep on the lookout for it and for some reason it makes it less urgent for me.

Right now my list is short

  • Rain/snow boots
  • I might need to use a save on some nice jeans since mine are wearing out fast. I am waiting this one out longer than the other one though because I still have some that work for the moment.
That's it. I might have other things crop up, and as they do I will put them on the list. Very rarely are things like this a true emergency. I could have really used rain/snow boots this weekend with a record snowfall in TN, but I got by without them. When I do buy boots, they will be good quality and worth the wait! 

3. I will be saving up for quality/durable stuff that will last me a long time. This point is really self explanatory. I am willing to save some money for some nicer rain boots because I KNOW I will use them. :)




That is really all I have for today. IF you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, please comment below. I would love to hear from you!

Love,
Sherayah

No comments:

Post a Comment