Wednesday, January 20, 2016

9 Tips for Having a Capsule Wardrobe in College

Hey Friends!

A capsule wardrobe is great to have in college. Whether you are cramped in a tiny dorm room or a busy commuter, it can help you have less stress about a couple of things. You won't be standing in front of your closet forever in the morning wondering what to wear because you will have less pieces that you love and that work together. You will have less laundry, and you won't have to worry about looking put together. Here are a few tips for building your capsule in college.

1. Be sensible.
If you love fashion and you are comfortable in super stylish high end stuff, go for it... but if you are the average college student, a capsule with mostly jeans, tshirts, and a few nicer things can be okay. Think about your needs and what clothes you feel good, confident, and comfortable in.

2. Know what you need.
 Do you work? Do you do a lot of presentations for your field of study? Are you a gym rat? Do you spend all your time in the library. Factor in your needs so that you can decide how your capsule needs to function and what is going to be appropriate.

3. Pick comfortable shoes!
There is a time and a place for nice heels that kill your feet... usually college is not one of those places. Don't be ashamed to have a nice pair of trainers (tennis shoes) in your capsule. You do a lot of walking in most universities and the last thing you want to have to think about during a test is aching feet.

4. Be you.
Highschool was a time when people judged you and people strived to fit in... at college you are a lot more free to be yourself, so figure out your style and go with it.

5. Make sure it is weather appropriate.
There is nothing worse than realizing that your capsule is not conducive to the weather. Make sure that you have a few layering pieces, a rain coat (at least where I am from it rains a lot and it miserable walking around campus without the proper gear), and anything else that you might need for the climate you will be in.

6. Pick clothes you love and will be confident in.
I have several t-shirts that I love, feel confident in, and comfortable wearing in my capsule and you know what? That's okay! It's my wardrobe and my choice. :)

7. Make sure you have a few basic classic pieces.
It's easy to get caught up with the more fun statement pieces of your capsule, but I suggest making sure you have some jeans, a black tank top or tee, a white tank top, tee, or blouse, and a couple other simple  items that you can layer on top of. However, you don't necessarily have to have these things to make it work. For example, even though I recommend a white top, I don't have one in my wardrobe. I don't like white and don't need it for my wardrobe, but most people do. :)

8. Try to stick to a color pallet or at least a base.
Try to stick to a same grouping of colors so that you can mix and match more easily OR at least pick a couple of base colors. For example, my base color for my current capsule is black and grey, but my fall capsule base colors were navy, cream, and brown. Having these base colors helped me plan my capsule more easily!

9. Have fun with it.
Remember you don't have to perfectly follow the rules of Project 333 or any other capsule wardrobe blog. Personalize it. Make it yours!

I hope these tips helped. If you have any tips for having a capsule in college, please tell me in the comments below!

Love,
Sherayah




No comments:

Post a Comment